- We must restrict access to abortions in order to eliminate abortions,
- We must increase the rights of gun owners to carry concealed weapons in order to reduce gun violence
- Religious organizations using public funds to do the work of the state may discriminate based on their religious beliefs
- Someone with a few hours training has the right to bring a concealed, loaded handgun into your church
The nation awakes this morning to the shroud of shame woven by Michigan Republicans last night. If you call yourself a patriot and American, the events of this week should jolt you into action.
- Bills introduced and voted on before legislators or voters have the slightest chance to read them
- Bills passed without any Committee review or opportunity provided for public comment
- Bills rammed through the House and Senate without legislators being given the opportunity to discuss them or to offer amendments
When the wealthy can write the legislation and purchase its passage, then our elected officials before whores. And if the people say nothing in opposition, then we are their pimps.
I do not want to live in an America betrayed by greed and selfishness. I cannot live in a country where the people are too apathetic to stand up to rich bullies who maraud our state and our nation with impunity. I cannot enjoy a season promoting the principles of the Sermon on the Mount knowing that we now mourning the death of democracy have no hope; that the gentle will inherent a barren landscape; and that those who thirst for righteousness will choke on the dust of corruption. If we are pure in heart, perhaps we will see God someday. But, right now if the pure in heart do not start overturning some moneychangers' tables, then the people in the here and now will suffer increasingly grave injustice.
I mourn for the women soon to die from medical complications because clinics are forced to close. I mourn for the innocents soon to fall to the bullets of "law-abiding citizens." I mourn for the workers and their families who will endure decreased wages, outsourced jobs, and increased job-related accidents and illnesses. I mourn for GLBT folk who will be legally denied their rights. I mourn for a generation that will not know the benefits of public education. I mourn for people of color, many of whom will live under the dictatorial rule of politically-appointed cronies. I mourn for all of us as we watch the dream of Adams and Jefferson die.