Recently, our state representative here in Midland, Michigan was quoted in the press as saying that the policy of Planet Fitness regarding transgender individuals threatens the safety of women. He called their policy "anti-woman" and added that it "violates the privacy, comfort and peace of mind of women."
Perhaps it is really Rep. Gary Glenn who is confused about the notion of gender and what it really means to be "anti-woman."
Here are some real "anti-woman" policies:
- Failing to close the ongoing pay equity gap between men and women;
- Opposing efforts to raise the minimum wage or require that businesses provide paid sick leave, both of which disproportionately affect women;
- Forcing women to pay additional insurance premiums for medical treatment to which they are legally entitled;
- Proclaiming the unsuitability of two women to raise children without the presence of a man;
- Denying loving and committed women the legal rights afforded heterosexual couples;
- Basing political opinions on the malicious and groundless lie that gay and transgender people are pedophiles and rapists;
- Opposing efforts to educate children about gender identity and categorizing anti-bullying legislation as an insidious tactic of the dreaded gay agenda;
- Undermining efforts to provide affordable health care to women and girls living in poverty;
- Attacking health care agencies providing important services to women, especially in the more remote areas of the state;
- Fighting against hate crime legislation that would protect straight women of color, lesbians and transgender women from harassment, abuse and violence;
- Helping men whose wives have taken out Personal Protection Orders against them for domestic violence buy guns;
- Denying spousal benefits to the partners of unmarried employees;
- And falsely laying claim to the mythical moral high ground of "traditional family values" that will only serve to deny women basic freedoms and dignity.
The most dangerous threat to the privacy, comfort and peace of mind of women in Michigan is not gay or transgender people. It is not Planet Fitness and its policies regarding gender identity. The most dangerous and anti-woman threat in Michigan — the person most truly confused about gender — is you.
To support the fight against discrimination in Michigan, please sign and forward our petition calling for protection of our trans* community.